Sign Materials and Substrates most communally Used
Sign companies use a wide verity of sign materials and substrates to make your custom signs. Sign substrate is what we either print on or place an image on to erect your signage. This is the material that is especially made for sign making. This gives your sign a long-life span. There are many specialty vinyls that are used to give you anywhere between one to 10-year life span on signs. We use a special UV protection lamination.
Corrugated Plastic or Coro
In the sign industry we call this coro or coroplast. This is a great material mainly used for short term signs and promotional signs. This is an excellent choice for election signs, lawn sign, construction signs, directional signs, building projects, real estate signs and many more. We are one of the only companies that use American made corrugated plastic for signs.
There are many advantages to using corrugated signs.
- Easy to place
- Easy to replace
- Lower cost than other types of substrate
- Has a high-quality look to it
Negatives of Using Corrugated Plastic
- Gets brittle over time
- Swells in heat
- Can break in cold
- People take sometimes to use in their own project, like yard sale signs
PVC Polyvinyl Chloride Smooth Plastic
PVC aka PVC signs is lightweight but very durable and rigid. This is a great indoor and outdoor medium-term sign. We use this a lot with restaurant menu boards, menu boards, trade show, point of purchase, and directional.
Here are the pluses to using this material:
- Come in a verity of thickness.
- Smooth surface makes printing high quality
- Can be single or double sided
- This is ideal for interior use
Disadvantages of Using PVC
- Outside use is great but gets brittle in cold temps
- Must be mounted carefully, if screwed in you must be careful not to over tighten
Styrene or Polystyrene
High Impact Polystyrene or HIPS is an easily printed constant material that comes in either matte or smooth finish, can be double sided. This product comes in sizes up to 4’ x 8’ sheets. We are able to cut it down to smaller sizes.
This material has some great uses like light covers, POP graphics, displays and cards. This material is able to be custom shaped.
Positives of Styrene:
- Lightweight and flexible material
- Custom cuts make great POP signs that draw attention
- Great for safety signs or caution signs
- Can be screwed, glued or grommet
Negatives of this material:
- Not very rigid at all, must have a backing if not mounting on a solid service
- Scratches weaken the material, could break along the scratch
Plexiglass and Acrylic
These are the most used substrate in the sign industry for a large verity of applications. This material is available in many colors, thicknesses. We make modern signs for lobbies out of this material. This is a great outdoor sign material for light up signs. We often print on the back side and use standoffs to make office displays.
Positives of this material:
- Great for use interior signs
- Makes excellent standoff signs
- Used as a cover for other signs
Negatives of Plexiglass:
- Easily scratched if it is not maintained properly
Polycarbonate or Lexan
Lexan comes in clear and white only. We commonly use this material in sign boxes that are lit up. The thickness starts at 3/16” and runs as long as 100’. We print on translucent vinyl; you can have anything you want printed on this material. Since the COVID we have been refacing or replacing a lot of signs to update and draw more attention to businesses.
Advantages to using Lexan:
- Excellent for long term use. Can be sometimes reused.
- Heat or cold does not hurt it
- Allows for light up signage to draw attention
- Very durable material
- Over many years this material may become yellow from UV rays.
Aluminum Composite Material
Aluminum composite material sometimes called signboard, dibond or epanel. It is composed of two sheets of thin aluminum with a solid plastic or polyethylene core. Great material for mid to long term outdoor signs or construction sites It does not warp in long term heat or moisture. This is a great choice for pole signs for outdoor uses.
- Easy to print to and laminate
- Great for long term signs
- Can be shaped
- Edges can be sharp we round the corners but care must be taken care when handling
Fiberglass reinforced plywood or FRP is often used in place pf MDO wood. This is when a larger area then 4’ x 8’ area is being covered. The fiberglass covering provides a long-lasting outdoor life.
- Very strong and rigid
- Can be shaped and made into unique designs
- Extremely heavy
MDO is an exterior material, has a long term use plywood core, with a moisture proof smooth surface. The edges have to be either painted or an edge cap used. We are able to print on both sides of this material. We print on high performance material and UV laminate it. This helps to make the material last longer.
- Can be shaped to a custom design
- Very strong and rigid
- Edges have to be painted or sealed to last longer
- 2-4-year life span before the MDO starts to weather
Aluminum comes in solid aluminum sheets with a backed enamel finish and or painted white surface. These sheets come from super thin to engineer grade .80 thickness. This is an ideal substrate to use for long term signs. We use engineer grade aluminum to make common parking lot signs in a variety of colors. Reflective parking lot signs are made from this material.
- Does not bend easily
- Has a very long lifespan
Magnetic material is often used to make signs that can be used as temporary signage, that can be moved from one place to another. Barrels for example. We make vehicle graphics magnetic sets for vehicles. they are weather resistant and full color. We use 30 mill material at the moment, it is made as an outdoor signage. We have two types of magnetic material one is stronger than the other.
- Great material that is strong
- Can be printed on in color
- long lasting
- If not taken care of can fail
- Must be stored flat
If you need signage made from any of these common sign materials please give us a call for your free no obligation digital printing estimate 713-360-6675.